SEEDZ Zone Profile
SEEDZ Geography and Energy Demographics
Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the SEEDZ initiative is centered on a zone spanning north Sunnyvale, north Mountain View and Moffett Field, California.
Primarily a commercial and industrial area, the zone is home to leading high-technology companies including Google, Juniper Networks, Yahoo!, NetApp, LinkedIn, Intuit and Bloom Energy, and R&D campuses for such organizations as NASA, Lockheed, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft, Amazon, and Carnegie Mellon University.
This area is especially well suited for development, demonstration, and commercial-scale implementation of new smart energy solutions.
Significant penetration of ‘smart energy’ elements already in place, with more planned
- 175-200 MW demand
- currently ~13 MW of DG capacity across 18 sources including solar, biogas, fuel cells and co-gen
- hundreds of EV charging stations in place
High level of economic activity and planned investment
- 8.25 square miles, 300 energy customers, 470 buildings
- 30+m sq. ft., mostly high-tech office, lab, data center space
- billions in investment and 8.5m+ sq. ft. of new development, upgrades to power infrastructure
Stakeholder leadership in efficiency and sustainability
- major zone customers are ranked as corporate sustainability leaders, and are sophisticated energy users (e.g. Google, Juniper Networks, NetApp, Intuit, HP)
- local utility PG&E is U.S. leader in installed solar; plans to spend $1B on smart grid projects
- prominent local institutions and clean technology solution providers