Food Delivery Ambassador
How to apply:
Truck will be parked on Stanford University Campus in Palo Alto, CA.
Come make a difference with us!
Employment at Joint Venture Silicon Valley, A La Carte initiative
Established in 1993, Joint Venture Silicon Valley provides analysis and action on issues affecting our region's economy and quality of life. The organization brings together established and emerging leaders—from business, government, academia, labor and the broader community—to spotlight issues and work toward innovative solutions. As part of their focus on action for the betterment of Silicon Valley, initiatives on important community issues get their start under the Joint Venture umbrella. A La Carte, the first pilot program of Silicon Valley Food Rescue, is one such initiative.
About A La Carte
In Silicon Valley, a staggering one in four adults and one in three children are food insecure or at risk of hunger. In Santa Clara County alone, there are more than 200,000 people living under the poverty line. As part of Santa Clara County’s efforts to reduce edible food waste and feed people living with daily food insecurity in the region, the County has partnered with Joint Venture Silicon Valley to create A La Carte, a fleet of trucks rescuing edible surplus food from corporate and university campuses and to those struggling to feed themselves and their families, always free of cost.
Summary of Responsibilities
We recruit and retain insightful employees, who join our organization because they want to make a real difference in the lives of those in need. As the face of the organization, customer support and hospitality are of the utmost importance. The Food Delivery Ambassador is accountable for picking up food from donor locations around Stanford Campus, and delivering it to neighborhoods in need.
- Collect food from food donors.
- Strictly adhere to safe food handling practices. Training will be provided.
- Develop and maintain good relationships with food donors and recipients.
- Keep accurate daily records of food collected by using the iPad provided.
- Record all daily travel on the iPad provided.
- Attend staff meetings and special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED
- Excellent driving record
- Background check clearance
- Understanding of vehicle care and maintenance
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Understanding and acceptance of food recipients’ circumstances
- Comfort with diverse population
- Ability to drive a large transit van without need for special license
- Must be able to lift 10-20 pounds repeatedly throughout the day, occa-sionally up to 45 lbs, on and off truck
Positions are for Monday through Thursday, $20/hour. Work will occur during the day, starting at 8:15am, typically finishing between 3-5pm. Saturday shifts are from 9am-1pm, $20/hour. Please make your availability clear in your cover letter. Full time with benefits also available, after a successful trial period.
We're an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.