Director of Communications
How to apply:
Come make a difference with us!
Employment at Joint Venture Silicon Valley
Established in 1993, Joint Venture Silicon Valley is a public-private consortium of regional leaders and organizations that provides analysis and action on issues affecting our region's economy and quality of life. The organization brings together established and emerging leaders—from business, government, academia, labor, and the broader community—to spotlight issues and work toward innovative solutions. Joint Venture is the home of the Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies, which produces the annual Silicon Valley Index and other relevant data throughout the year. Joint Venture also convenes the annual State of the Valley conference each February.
Director of Communications
The Director of Communications leads all communications activities for Joint Venture Silicon Valley and the Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies, including internal and external communications, online communications, publications, and media relations activities. The director develops, executes, and maintains public information programs that help Joint Venture to:
- Accomplish its goals of improving the economic health and quality of life for Silicon Valley
- Publicize and promote the activities of Joint Venture’s Silicon Valley Institute for Regional Studies
- Advance the reputation of Joint Venture and its leadership as a resource for regional and government officials, corporate leaders, and the news media
This full-time position is based in San Jose and reports to the President and CEO with a dotted line from the Executive Vice President.
- Serves as primary liaison with the news media; cultivates and maintains strong media contacts and proactively promotes developments and Joint Venture experts to traditional and new media
- Produces the organization’s monthly newsletter, news releases, media advisories, op-ed articles, executive profiles, board memos, Institute reports, and other internal and outbound publications
- Serves as copy editor on external reports, briefs, brochures, and the annual Silicon Valley Index
- Provides strategic direction for the development of the organization’s two websites, jointventure.org and siliconvalleyindicators.org and works with the webmaster to continuously improve the content and functionality of the sites
- Generates content for and manages Joint Venture social media pages, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube channel
- Oversees publicity and media relations activities for the annual State of the Valley conference
- Serves as liaison to external public relations agency for State of the Valley
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, public policy or a related discipline; graduate degree a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, and public speaking skills
- Proficiency in producing web and social media content
- 3-5 years’ experience in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field