Outreach Fellowship, Silicon Valley Food Recovery
About Joint Venture Silicon Valley
Joint Venture Silicon Valley is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization. Established in 1993, Joint Venture provides analysis and action on issues affecting the Silicon Valley econ-omy and quality of life. The organization brings together established and emerging leaders—from business, government, academia, labor and the broader community—to spotlight issues, launch projects and work toward innovative solutions.
About Silicon Valley Food Recovery Initiative
This position supports the Santa Clara County Food Recovery Steering Committee and the newly formed Santa Clara County Edible Food Recovery Program as SB 1383 is implemented.
Thanks to continued funding through the Recycling and Waste Reduction Commission of Santa Clara County, we deepened our work to focus needed attention on SB 1383. To reduce food waste and help address food insecurity, SB 1383 requires that by 2025 California recover 20 percent of edible food excess. Jurisdictions must establish food recovery programs, food donors must arrange to recover the maximum amount of their excess food, and food recovery organizations and services must maintain agreements with generators and records for submission to the State. Joint Venture will manage the Santa Clara County Edible Food Recovery Program through the Steering Committee.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Outreach and education of edible food generators, as well as data and logistical sup-port for the SB 1383 Food Recovery Program of Santa Clara County. The position will support our capacity analysis- following up with food recovery organizations about fill-ing out the capacity survey, following up with edible food generators on education and outreach (either in-person or by phone/email), and other tasks related to data man-agement.
Experience and Skillsets
- Some experience researching and/or writing in a professional setting
- Great attention to detail
- The ability to participate in an environment that prioritizes participation from people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives
- Excellent computer skills, including facility with Google Sheets and Excel, with the ability to learn new software when needed. Most work is accomplished with the Google suite of applications. Effective at working independently and remotely
About the Position
- This is a ~15 hour per week, part time fellowship position with Joint Venture Silicon Valley
- Non-exempt role, with a $1,200 monthly stipend
- As a part-time employee, no benefits/paid vacation are included; however, we offer a flexible work schedule which can be adjusted to accommodate unpaid time off
- Our organization is committed to flexibility and work-life balance
- Longer-term remote work will be possible, as long as you have the ability to travel to San Jose and other parts of Silicon Valley for regular in-person meetings, several per week.