Packard Award Honorees
About the award
The David Packard Award is presented annually by Joint Venture to a person or persons who bring an entrepreneurial, cross-boundary, problem-solving approach to our region’s challenges. The recipients embody the spirit of David Packard, Silicon Valley’s legendary pioneer who set the highest standard for civic engagement.
What is a civic entrepreneur?
Civic entrepreneurs are people of passion and commitment who:
- think expansively about the region and act on a keen sense of civic responsibility;
- are based in one sector but work outside of their conventional boundaries, bridging sectors to tackle important problems;
- bring a spirit of innovation–and a roll-up-the-sleeves approach–to complex challenges.
Previous David Packard Award honorees:
- 2017 – Reed Hastings, Netflix
- 2016 – Jennifer Pahlka, Code for America
- 2015 – Chris DiGiorgio & Chuck Reed, Former Co-Chairs, Joint Venture Silicon Valley Board of Directors
- 2014 – Salman Khan, Khan Academy
- 2013 – Lenny Mendonca, McKinsey & Company
- 2012 – John A. Sobrato, The Sobrato Organization
- 2011 – Aart de Geus, Synopsys
- 2010 – Richard M. Levy, Varian
- 2009 – Paul L. Locatelli, Santa Clara University
- 2008 – William F. Miller, Stanford University
- 2007 – Eric Benhamou, Benhamou Ventures
- 2006 – Bruce Chizen, Adobe